Our credit account functionality allows you to top-up customer accounts. This can be used for a number of reasons, for example a deposit payment. If the customer then wishes to cancel an order, you may wish to refund the deposit. Please follow the steps in this guide in this situation.
This guide assumes you have already setup credit accounts and understand how they work. If not, please check out the related support guide here.
If you haven't already, you'll need to create an item in your account:
- Name the item Top-Up Reverse or something similar
- Set the Price Type to Prompt
Please see our items guide for further information on creating new items.
Let's assume we have:
- Taken a £100 cash deposit from a customer
- We have processed this as a top-up against their credit account.
Therefore, the system currently:
- Has set the customers balance to £100
- Expects £100 cash to be deposited
It's not possible to directly reverse a top-up. Instead there are two steps we must perform:
- Process a new sale
- Add the Top-Up Reverse item to the sale
- Set the items price to be the amount we are returning, so in this instance £100
- Link the sale to the customers account
- Charge the sale to the customers account balance.
This will result in:
- The customers balance returning to being £0
- The system now reporting £100 of sales
- The system still expects £100 cash from the original top-up
The second stage is to:
- Perform a refund of the Top-Up Reverse sale created above [see refund guide]
- Return the Top-Up Reverse item
- Tap Add Payment -> Cash -> Confirm (the payment amount will be -£100)
This second stage, will result in:
- The customers balance still being £0
- The system now reporting £0 of sales (as the refund, reverse the Top-Up Reverse sale)
- The system still expects £0 cash (as the refund balances against the original top-up)